Welcome to the Royal Leamington Spa Town Council website
Compared with Cities such as Winchester, York and Chester its history is a brief, but nevertheless a proud one. Like most Boroughs, Leamington has its civic insignia and gladly displays this on public occasions. Royal Leamington Spa became a borough in 1875 and the Charter of Incorporation, together with the Grant of Arms made the following year, are now housed in two handsome cabinets presented to the town by the Leamington Spa Courier.
Following the abolition of the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa by the Local Government Act, 1972, custody of the civic insignia was given to the Charter Trustees, a duty undertaken until the grant of Town Council status in 2002. The Town Council is now the custodian of this historic legacy.